With the ‘winter’ LARP season now officially here, I thought it might be an idea to talk a little about making hoods to add an extra layer of warmth over the coming season. I’ve got a couple of ways I make hoods – one using a commercial pattern I have adapted to my needs over the years, and the other using a tutorial made from historical observations. There are so many tutorials out there about making hoods you are sure to find something that will peak your interest or suit your character!
When it comes to preparing character kit for my LARP characters, I like to start by considering how my character might live in the costume rather than the finished aesthetic. This is partly so I can try to reuse items I’ve made over the years to add to my character’s wardrobe, but also for practicality. Clothing is a way of expressing ourselves on a day to day basis – why should it not be the same for our characters?
For many of us fest season is wrapping up for another year and the bulk of our kit will be packed away until next year. Now is the time that I find best for sorting through any gear, preparing any patching or repair projects for the winter, and generally giving everything a good solid clean.
If you’re wondering how to squish your kit explosion away until next year, then hopefully there will be some hints and tips right here!
Last week I showed you the inspiration for a recent project to make a new summer over-robe ahead of the Summerfest gathering at the Bank Holiday. I promised I would show you the finished article when done, and here it is for your preview!
I give you my mash-up robe – a blend of Simplicity 5840 and Simplicity 4059 patterns.
Summerfest is coming and as always I feel the urge to make kit for my character. The fests of the season give me a chance to mix up the wardrobe, tweak bits of kit that have been niggling at me over the past few months, and generally try to stay cool over the three days I get to be in-character.
Having been trawling Pinterest (I have a problem – so many pretty things, so little time) and roaming around the internet following various SCA and costuming blogs over the past few years, I have had the joy to stumble across Morgan Donner’s Sewing Party. Her kit always knocks my socks off and inspires me to attempt to make beautiful clothes for my character rather than just costume. As tempted as I was to attempt to make a Burgundian gown, a houpplande like this one, or this one, or an extravagant gown with LOTS of material … I had to consider wearing the garment out on the field and how it could be used in future (I do have some self control sometimes). But having considered my current kit and the garments I’ve enjoyed wearing in the past, I came up with a cunning plan. And borrowed inspiration from Morgan Donner’s beautiful Venetian Zimarra.
This blog delves into the beginnings of my new over-robe as I attempt to make my own garment by deliberately combining different patterns. Part 2: the making of will follow in time.